The goal of the MORE project is to drive the embedded systems technology one step further by providing a Middleware based on Service Oriented Architectures deployable on the device level.
The MORE project will build on the most recent approaches in Web Services research that extend the classical isolated embedded systems with networking support, demanding a middleware to overcome heterogeneity and assure interoperability.
The MORE middleware adopts the network-centric point of view to embedded systems design. To support the group intelligence concept, the MORE middleware will support the following functionalities:
- Alleviate heterogeneity of devices: heterogeneity arises not only from hardware constraints but also often appears through different operating systems and programming languages.
- Support policy driven group communication: reliable communication within different ranges starting from the personal area (e.g. to connect a sensor to a mobile phone) to wide-area communication incl. cellular networks (e.g. inter service communication and resource sharing within groups across long distances).
- Allow for resource sharing between devices/services and support sophisticated service orchestration tailored towards the embedded domain.
- Ensure security of communications for secure data exchanges and protection of sensitive data (e.g. privacy, authorization etc.).
- Provide enabling gateway services, incorporating small scale embedded devices into the service domain and therefore increasing range of accessibility (e.g. connecting small scale local sensor/actor devices to large scale mobile networks like UMTS).